Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, September 9

"Education is an excellent tool. . . "


Chanced upon this excellent valedictory speech, below,  by a HS Valedictorian through one of my homeschooling groups.

Erica Goldson's High School Valedictory Speech

What she wrote was exactly my sentiments! The Philippine setting, or from what I have learned, exposed too, or heard of, leaves much to be desired.

It is quiet a read but she makes very good sense. This actually re-enforced our decision to homeschool.

Just some of Erica's straight to the point wisdom:

On Education in a regular school
"Well, if you pass a test, or become valedictorian, didn't you learn something? Well, yes, you learned something, but not all that you could have. Perhaps, you only learned how to memorize names, places, and dates to later on forget in order to clear your mind for the next test. . ."
 "However, in retrospect, I cannot say that I am any more intelligent than my peers. I can attest that I am only the best at doing what I am told and working the system. Yet, here I stand, and I am supposed to be proud that I have completed this period of indoctrination.  .  . "
 "But now, I have successfully shown that I was the best slave. I did what I was told to the extreme. While others sat in class and doodled to later become great artists, I sat in class to take notes and become a great test-taker. While others would come to class without their homework done because they were reading about an interest of theirs, I never missed an assignment. While others were creating music and writing lyrics, I decided to do extra credit, even though I never needed it.  .  . "

On quoting John Gatto 
"We could encourage the best qualities of youthfulness – curiosity, adventure, resilience, the capacity for surprising insight simply by being more flexible about time, texts, and tests, by introducing kids into truly competent adults, and by giving each student what autonomy he or she needs in order to take a risk every now and then. But we don't do that.”  - John Gatto
  "... We are all expected to be the same. We are trained to ace every standardized test, and those who deviate and see light through a different lens are worthless to the scheme of public education, and therefore viewed with contempt. . ."

On Motivation

"We have no choices in life when money is our motivational force. Our motivational force ought to be passion, but this is lost from the moment we step into a system that trains us, rather than inspires us. . . "
 "We are all very special, every human on this planet is so special, so aren't we all deserving of something better, of using our minds for innovation, rather than memorization, for creativity, rather than futile activity, for rumination rather than stagnation? We are not here to get a degree, to then get a job, so we can consume industry-approved placation after placation. There is more, and more still. . . "
 "We are human beings. We are thinkers, dreamers, explorers, artists, writers, engineers. We are anything we want to be - but only if we have an educational system that supports us rather than holds us down. A tree can grow, but only if its roots are given a healthy foundation. . ."

 On Learning

". . . stand up, ask questions, be critical, and create your own perspective. Demand a setting that will provide you with intellectual capabilities that allow you to expand your mind instead of directing it. Demand that you be interested in class. Demand that the excuse, “You have to learn this for the test” is not good enough for you. . . "
 "Education is an excellent tool, if used properly, but focus more on learning rather than getting good grades."


Referring to diplomas

"Let's go get those pieces of paper that tell us that we're smart enough to do so!"

No comments:

Post a Comment